Friday, March 14, 2008

I'm one of "those" people

So many of you may or may not know that I love to listen to sports talk radio. I'm not a man, but I think they are funny and the local 1280 the Zone always makes me laugh. I listen to sports talk radio most of the time when I'm in the car. However, now in addition to listening to sports radio I am one of "those people" who calls in and plays their silly games.

Well on 1280 The Zone they have this weekly segment called something like "Bark like a dog, quack like a man" or something like that. Basically the premise of the segment is that women don't know anything about sports and can't answer simple sports questions that any man would know the answer to. They have 3 women call in and answer sports questions (really, they are pretty easy questions about local stuff). The 3 women on the phone are given an animal sound to "buzz in" since we are all on the phone. Most of the time the women say stupid answers or giggle while trying to remember and the guys can laugh and feel how smart they are and how dumb women are. Anyways, I decided to call in last night as I was driving home.

I was awarded the sound of a duck (quack, quack) in order to "chime in" with my answer. This meant that when I thought I had the answer I had to quickly say "quack, quack" before the other girl "barked" or "moo'd." Whoever was heard first making their sound got to answer first.

To make a long story short I actually had a girl who was pretty smart & quicker than me with her "Moo" (instead of my "quack, quack") on a few answers. We had to go into a tie breaker, but I WON. Of course since we are women we don't win Jazz tickets, we win massages, but I really like massages so that is ok I guess, although I would have preferred Jazz tickets. I'm a little concerned that the massage is at "Massage Envy" where the pervert was recently found in the news. I guess we will see how that goes.

The funny part was that my Dad was actually listening and heard the whole thing so he can validate this story.

For all of those who are wondering, here are the questions I answered correctly (that I can remember, I can't remember them all):

1. How many teams are in the mountain west conference (answer: 9)
2. What is the first name of Utah State's head basketball coach? (answer: Stew)
3. The Air Force/San Diego State game just ended....who won? (answer: San Diego State)

Tie Breaker question: What former Ute basketball player did the Jazz play last night? (Answer: Andrew Bogut)

Questions I wasn't "quick enough" on & didn't get to answer...although I knew the answer except for the Rat Pack one:
1. Who leads the current NBA standings? (Answer: Celtics)
2. What conference does Weber State Play in (Answer: Big Sky)
3. Name 2 people from the "Rat Pack" (I had heard of them, but really....is this a sports question?)

So now I am one of "those" people that calls in the radio. What has become of my life? Do I need more friends? I may have to call in weekly depending on how bored I am or how nice that massage ends up being!

6 comments:

Ken Bagby said...

I can verify all the above! Fun listening to. Glad you finally got to call in; I knew you'd ace them!

The segment is officially called: "Think Like A Man, Bark Like A Dog!"

Jen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Stacy said...

um...ya. I didn't know any of those answers. Guess I'm not one of "those" people...phew! I have a life. :-)

Amy said...

I read this post to Niel and he is utterly impressed to say the least! Good job Jen!! You should come hang out with us when we watch these games. I just like to comment on all the cool names... like Boozer, Gonzaga (team), Cummard, Jimmer and Steve Nash. Ok, so I think Steve Nash is really hot.... but don't tell Niel that part..haha!

Kellie Glade said...

I also had Derek read this post and he was very impressed by your sport knowledge. That is awesome that you got to be on the radio! Way to show those men :)

SamBates said...

I'm so proud, we have to play sport trivia some time. Good job bagbys, too bad you didn't get the jazz tix.