Wednesday, September 21, 2011

St. George, Zions

For our end of the summer trip, Suzanne, Kim and I went to St. George. The plan was to see "The Little Mermaid" at the Tuchanan and then to hopefully hike the subway at Zions with a group from the ward (if we could get permits).

We left on Friday morning and started our trek. We stopped in Cedar City and ate at a delicious dive of a restaurant thanks to Yelp. Of course by this point Suzanne and I were done talking to each other so Kim (our friend historian) took this picture of our "socializing".....LOL!! (For the record I had not showered either which explains the beauty I have in this picture)


We had decided to go on a little hike on our way down that one of my co-workers had recommended. It was an awesome hike with a waterfall that you could slide down. Seemed perfect since it was over 100 degrees outside. We thought that there might not be as much water as earlier in the summer, but since it had been such a high snow year we thought perhaps it would have some. We should have known by the empty parking lot that it was dry......but we hiked it anyways. It was only 2 miles round trip so not too bad. I guess there was water there, but it looked like it hadn't moved much in weeks so we opted to not dive in :)

So now we were super hot and desperately in need of a pool (and/or a shower) so we decided to go to Kim's sister's pool in Washington. It was an awesome indoor/outdoor pool. Since we had been going to Seven Peaks all summer long we didn't feel weird at all going down the hyrdo-tube or playing in the children's area.



Suzanne and I obviously have problems with our phones.......we might need therapy.

After the pool we went to Kim's parent's house (who are currently serving as mission presidents) and showered and got ready to see "The Little Mermaid." First we at Thai food that was SO good!

Camille and I eating our delicious food

Then we headed out to the Tuchanan to see the show. I wasn't sure how they were going to do all the underwater scenes for The Little Mermaid, but it was honestly amazing how they incorporated the water. They flooded the stage with water and had a "water curtain" that they would be behind when they were under the sea. All the actors were on "heelies" (the shoes with wheels in their heels) so they could glide across the stage. It was honestly flat out amazing. It threatened rain all night and there was an awesome lightening storm that was going on during the whole show, but that only added to the cool lightening and thunder of the shipwreck :) We were happy that within 2 minutes of getting in the car it started pouring rain. Great timing!!!

Camille, Suzanne, Kim, Me

I make a beautiful Mermaid......

We had found out from our friends that they didn't get permits to hike in the Subway but after meeting them in the morning they had gotten permits, but not enough for us to come. At that point we weren't prepared for the all-day subway hike so we just explored Zions on our own.

First we hiked to the Emerald pools. It was a nice hike and early in the day so it wasn't too hot (yet).

Then we headed over to hike in the Narrows. I had never done this before and I quite enjoyed how beautiful and refreshing (cold) it was. Here are some pictures:

The person who was taking our photo held the camera so low that we all thought it was going to be a weird shot.....it appears I ended up being the only weird looking, hunched over person. Oh well.

On Sunday we went to church and then drove home through Kolob Canyon. I had never been there and it was a really pretty drive.

Me, Suzanne, Kim

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jen, so many adventures! Keep it up. I love reading your blog.