Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Broken Calf

So right before my super fun 4th of July weekend I was playing softball. I was playing deep in the outfield and someone hit is pretty high, but shallow. Being the quick runner I am (ha, ha) I thought that I could for sure sprint up and get under it to catch it. Well I took one step into my sprint and felt my calf just pop. It felt like someone had shot me with a BB gun and I heard it pop. I knew something not so great had happened so I was hesitant to put weight on it. After I got the courage to try I realized it was really cramping up.

So after 20 minutes of massaging it and walking around trying to loosen it up I decided to go to Instacare and see what was up because it just didn't feel the same as my other one. Jenny was there and felt it and also thought the same thing as me.....that it felt squishy.

To make a long story short I tore my calf muscle. I was in a walking boot for a week and then I couldn't run or do anything too explosive for a couple other weeks. This made my weekend of fun with Nicole (hiking the Y, running the 10K) not as fun for me (more on that later).

The saddest part is that I now have lopsided calves and it will take probably 6-8 months for full recovery. I'm back running and for the most part it is okay, but it gets sore and stiff more than my other one does especially going uphill. I also can't really do any sports or "explosive" movements yet. Running is okay because it is so repetitive, but it was not a fan of Zumba a couple weeks ago!

I wonder which calf was injured......


No comments: