Sunday, August 1, 2010

Adult EFY aka Lake Powell

Last weekend I have the opportunity to go to Lake Powell. I love Lake Powell mostly because I love the sun, boats and not wearing make-up. This trip, however, was one of the oddest that I have ever been on. I went with 60 "mid-singles" of which I didn't know 57 of them.

Let's just say we had 1 houseboat and I didn't know that they made houseboats this small. It literally was sinking on many occasions (due to too many people on the boat). It only had a toliet....no shower and there were no "cabins." The "beds" were futons that doubled as couches during the day. My friend Janie and I had paid to have a bed in the houseboat, but I didn't really feel like sleeping on the same couch that everyone in their wet suits sat on throughout the day. I also didn't want to try and sleep in the major walkway of the cabin that everyone had to go through to get to the top of the houseboat or out to the shore. So Janie and I slept in a girl's tent who had extra room, but I had no mat to sleep on and let's just say the sandy shores of Lake Powell were not enough. I think I slept about 45 minutes the first night. I was on the boat at 6:30am....

With so many older adults you would think it would be a great opportunity to meet people, but it felt like a really long networking activity instead of a bunch of singles flirting. Sometimes it felt like adult EFY, but with no leaders to make you sit on everyone's lap in a circle (LOL!). Maybe I was just left out of the loop, but looking around it didn't seem like there was much flirting going on at all. Everyone seemed indifferent to the whole trip. I felt that if I had to tell one more person I worked at Monavie and was getting my MBA that I was going to die! I once had a conversation about SEO for over 45 minutes with one person! Seriously I'm on vacation can we not talk about work??? On Friday night they had a dance, yes a dance. Last time I danced outside of Zumba was at least 7 years ago (and it still is since I just watched while others danced). I must be old cause I was happy when the park ranger showed up and told us to turn it off. I was so sleepy, but my tent was not far enough away from the dance party :(

Overall I loved the ride down and back as well as all the time on the boat (which I had a lot of). I just work way better in smaller groups. I have come to accept that I am not the life of the party and that I don't enjoy this big of groups. It would have been nicer to have been with 20 people so you could actually get to know people on a little bit more of a personal level.

On a better note a lot of people didn't go out on the ski boats which was odd....why go to Lake Powell and not get on the boat? Anyways, it meant that I got lots of time to wakeboard which I really love. Overall I met a few cool people, but with 60 people it was just too big of a group. But I came home tan and sore which means that I definitely got some fun in.

Here are some pictures. I didn't really take very many on the trip, but Janie took some of me on the wakeboard so that is mostly the pictures I had.


3 comments:

Heather said...

Looks like your knee is holding up! I think I'm going to try water skiing for the first time in a decade this month . . . I'm scared to death. :)

Jen said...

Bah-ha. EFY at lake powelll.... Yeah, i'll pass!

Carrie Wood said...

You do look pretty awesome out there wakeboarding. I feel so old and huge right now I just dream of being able to do that again someday!
Do you get more bonus points in heaven for going to extra EFY's?