Monday, September 6, 2010

Top 10 things I've learned living alone

So some of you may or may not know that Nicole moved to Omaha and I've been living alone for the past 3 months. Overall I actually enjoy it, but I have learned a few interesting things along the way that I thought I'd share:

1. I only run the dishwasher once a week tops
2. 4 bedrooms is a lot of space for a single person.
3. Water in un-used toilets evaporates and leaves a ring in the toliet. It is hard to remember to "use" each one
4. The A/C bill is very, very low since I don't get home until 9pm. I also don't have to worry about freezing Nicole out!
5. I can walk around naked. Please note I said CAN, not DO!
6. I have to get rid of the mice and spiders myself :(
7. Making sure the front door is actually closed is important. I have come down to an open door later in the night several times which is not fun checking the house for intruders with my baseball bat!
8. I wonder if I should rotate using my 3 showers to make sure they keep running properly
9. Moving furniture for the carpet cleaners is not as easy as it may seem!
10. I still miss Nicole......especially at dinner time when we would normally chat!

3 comments:

Ken Bagby said...

I can help on some of these....let's see...

#5 - Don't. Enough said. No good would come from it.
#6 - Pest control companies, like the one you referred us to, are very worthwhile to rid yourself of these nuisances. Thank you for getting us hooked up!
#7 - Rule #1 has to be to secure your house at all times. Again, no good would come from leaving it open or unlocked, either intentional or unintentional. Just get in the habit of locking it. Then you're secure. You might even consider an alarm system.

Overall, yes, rotate around and make sure everything is operational from time to time, even weekly. Helps spot problems and issues before they become an immediate concern needing your immediate attention, regardless of what time or day it is.

So much for my conventional wisdom...

Dad

Carrie Wood said...

Sounds like you just need to throw some wild parties! Sleepovers and stuff!

Nicole Whitehead said...

Agreed. There are a few nice things - like I can leave dirty dishes in the sink if I feel like it and not feel bad.
But, I hate not having Cadbury mini-eggs on hand 24-7 in case of the emergency chocolate craving. It's much more embarrassing to beg my neighbors than it was to just visit your shelf. I now have to build up my own supply, which is very very dangerous.