Sunday, July 4, 2010

Hiking Timp

While Nicole was visiting from Omaha we decided to hike Timp. We've done this hike before, but this time we decided to start from Aspen Grove instead of Timponeke. All we knew as that the Aspen Grove hike is supposedly shorter but steeper. We had no idea how much prettier it would be. It was definitely more difficult especially with the trail hidden by snow a lot of the time. There was still a lot of snow up on the mountain and as a result there were waterfalls EVERYWHERE. Nicole counted at least 20 that she could see at one time. It was such a green, gorgeous hike. It seriously rivaled our hikes in Kauai and here we were in our own backyard!!

Seeing that there was snow at the higher elevations it also provided for some scarier moments on the hike. The park ranger was a head of us and said that it was safe, but we had to climb over a ton of "snow bridges" over waterfalls in our tennis shoes. The phrase "this is the trail, right?" was uttered too many times to count, but we kept seeing people every so often ahead of us and behind us so we figured we were good.

Once we reached Emerald Lake (just at the base of the Timp summit) it was evident that we would not be able to make it to the top of Timp since people were coming down from the top of Timp in snow pants, snow shoes (with spikes in them) and skis! These guys also stopped at the temporary shelter and told us that there were 50 mph winds at the top and it was quite scary and then they just changed their clothes :) They followed us down the mountain for a while, but we were too fast for them...LOL!

So we only made it to Emerald Lake, but it was well worth the hike and worth doing it during the run-off even if you can't make it to the top of Timp. It was one of the best hikes I've ever been on. Here are some pictures that I hope do it even a little bit of justice.

This big waterfall is about a 45 minute hike that you could take any kids that can walk a ways on. (probably 4 and older). It isn't super steep to get there, but this waterfall is amazing and you can see all the others up higher. I assume after all the snow melts that the waterfall isn't as powerful. If you want to do it let me know, the kids would love it!


Another big waterfall....


You might want to click on this one to make it bigger, but look for all the waterfalls all the way up the mountain. We ended up hiking over at least half of these waterfalls on our way to the top of this mountain.

So, So green and tons of vegetation!


Note how the water falls from the top and then goes under where I'm walking on the snow. One bad step and I was going down that waterfall. Luckily the snow shoe people had made some pretty good tracks, but as you can see I had to be careful.....




Here I am near the top. I felt like Julie Andrews in the Sound of Music as I sang "Climb every mountain!" I bet Nicole wishes I also sounded like her :)


Once at the top by Emerald Lake I had to do the important things....update my Facebook status! With AT&T I was shocked to even have service! I also love my brown towel I'm pretending is a coat. It was cold up there with the wind blowing.

Emerald Lake....still frozen over!


Here is Nicole just walking through snow in July. I ended up "Skiing' on my running shoes until I fell and slide on my butt. It provided a good laugh for Nicole and the guys behind us with their snow spikes and ski poles. I showed them how you don't need all that equipment!!


More snow bridges!






4 comments:

Amy said...

Wow! Those are some awesome pictures! Looks like a lot of fun!!

Jen said...

That's crazy that you have to have spikes at this time of year to get to the top of Timp! How fun that NIcole was in town, hope things are going well for you guys!!

Carrie Wood said...

Oh my! Nicole's description didn't do it justice. That is unbelievable. I am glad you guys made it up and down safely!!!

Brooke said...

Jen! Every picture is so beautiful...I LOVE seeing what you are busy doing. You to a ton of fun, entertaining activities.