Sunday, March 29, 2009

Remembering Aunt Mary


My sweet Aunt Mary passed away last week on March 16th. She had held on for a long time, but died peacefully with family around her. Her funeral was this past Wednesday and it was one of the best funerals I've ever been to. Mary was finally free from her handicapped mortal body and it was time to celebrate her life. I can only imagine the sweet reunion she had with her Mom and Dad and many others when she passed to the other side.

Her funeral was beautiful. In addition to seeing so many family members many of Mary's handicapped friends were there. With so many sweet spirits I literally felt I was surrounded by angels (in addition to the many actual angels I'm sure were also present). I was deeply touched when her roommate, Ann (who is also Down Syndrome), was the first to pay her respects after the family prayer by running to the coffin to give Mary a kiss on the forehead. It was so touching!! Her funeral really reminded me what a sweet spirit she really had.

Here are my top 5 favorite Aunt Mary "isms"

1. Jingle Bell Rock at Christmas time. This is a Christmas tradition that I will greatly miss. It was a Christmas tradition that I really looked forward to. Even in the last years of her life she would take off her oxygen and do her choreographed dance to "Jingle Bell Rock."

2. Mary Poppins & The Sound of Music - She watched these movies everyday of her life. I truly believe that my love of these movies is directly related to her love of these movies. It was only fitting that at her funeral we heard a piano solo of "Climb Every Mountain." Talk about bringing me to tears!!!

3. Teasing her - She was so fun to tease. She took it so well and often had a great comeback. I especially loved it when she would say "yeah right!" I loved that phrase!!

4. Being "reprimanded" by her - If Mary didn't like what you were doing she made sure you knew it. Often she would beckon you aside and let you know of her disapproval. I especially loved hearing what her "punishments" were going to be. She always came up with some great ones such as "taking away the ribbons for your hair."

5. Her imaginary kids. She had 1,000 imaginary kids and she would at random talk to them, discipline them, etc. She also told me that I could marry one of her kids. I considered the offer, but thought that it wouldn't work out since that would be marrying my first cousin...LOL!

I will miss her. I truly believe that her presence at so many family functions and throughout my life helped me to grow as a person. Her sweet spirit was evident wherever she went. During our final good-bye's I did tell her to tell my future kids hello and that I'm sorry and trying hard to get them here to earth. Hopefully she passed on the message....

Here are some pictures from the funeral (sorry there are so many, but it will help my blog book at the end of the year).















1 comment:

Burns said...

I remember your Aunt Mary! She was really fun to be around. I'm sure your family will miss her.