This past week was the 4th of July. This year for the 4th of July I had the crazy idea to run the 4th of July "Freedom Run" 10K. Now let's remember I'm an aerobics girl, not a runner, but have been trying to become a runner. I figured there is no better place then running on the parade route for all of Provo to see me becoming a runner. I ran the 10K with Jana & Nicole and some other girls in our ward. Nicole was kind enough to keep her speed down & run with me. This came in very handy when I almost died running up 900 East. I knew I must be struggling when Nicole's comments switched from being about our lives (boys, work, etc) to comments such as "We're almost there," "You can make it." I must have looked like death was right around the corner. When all was said and done I ran 6.2 miles in 1:02 which is exactly a 10 min mile. I'm not going to win any gold medals, but I did finish and ran the whole time (no walking!) which is a major accomplishment for me.
The rest of the 4th of July consisted of a BBQ with 30 or so friends and going to the temple with the rest of Provo to watch the Stadium of Fire fireworks. It was a lot of fun although I was super tired since I had gotten up at 6am to run the 10K.
Since the 4th of July was on a Wednesday I found work extremely unappealing. I attempted to work for 4 hours on Thursday and then decided I was done for the week. I promptly went home and awaiting the arrival of the "Wasp Killers" to get rid of 9 lovely wasp homes in various parts of my balcony and house. I was very impressed that exterminator came and just swatted at the wasps as if they were flies. Quite a skill since I normally run when I see just one wasp.
This week I also purchased and used my first BBQ. Although it was 100+ degrees I cooked some steaks (more well done then I would have liked) and my roommates and I had family dinner before we went to see Les Miserables at the Pioneer Theatre company in Salt Lake. Les Mis was very well done and well worth going to see.
Since I am becoming a runner Giulianna (a friend in my ward) convinced us to run another 5K with her called "Lavender Days." It was described as a little piece of Italy & you run through the smell & fields of Lavender. Maybe I'm imaging Italy much greener and prettier then it actually is, but we ran our 5K through lavender sagebrush, not fields, although it did smell like lavender. It was a nice work-out but at 5:30am I wasn't so excited to be running in the middle of the desert nor was I thrilled when a 14 year old girl cut me off and I literally fell on my face as the race began.


1 comment:
What a great idea! There was much on this blog which I did not know. Life gets so crazy sometimes we don't have time for one-on-one relationships as much as we should. Keep it up, Jen!
BTW, when I saw your profile, I realized you look like someone we all know and love. Any ideas who? Scroll down for whom I feel you look like, at least in the picture....
Jackie Williamson, about 20 years ago!
And that's a compliment!
Post a Comment