Sunday, April 22, 2012

NYC, Newsies and Food!

Melinda and I took a long weekend trip to NYC to use my expiring companion flight by the end of April.  Since we had both been to NYC before we planned to eat, shop and see shows and just have a relaxing weekend. It was wonderful to not have to worry about getting up super early to make it to the tourist attractions before the rest of the general public. Thankfully our friend Chad had sent us with a food recommendation list and let's just say that he knows his stuff!!

We took the red-eye flight on Wednesday night. I slept a few hours on the plane, but not too much.  We were definitely a little tired when we got to NYC.  We went to the hotel, checked our baggage at the front, changed clothes and went to get in line for rush tickets for "How to Succeed in Business without even trying."  That way we could have tickets for $30 instead of $80+.  We easily got tickets and then headed out to breakfast at a fabulous restaurant called Norma's.  It was a little pricey, but SO good and so much food.  It was perfect for our starving tummy's.  This french toast had caramel syrup and rice crispies on the outside. It was delicious.


After breakfast we went back to the hotel and took a quick nap. We stayed at the La Quinta on 34th street (recommended by BYU) and it was a fabulous hotel. Normally I wouldn't choose a La Quinta, but I definitely would recommend this one.  Anyways, after our nap we got ready to go see Nick Jonas (yes, of Jonas Brothers fame) in the musical "How to Succeed in Business without Even Trying."  We first ate some delicious and reasonably priced pizza up in Time's Square (thanks to Chad).



We really enjoyed this play.  It was funny and the music was catching. It was set back in the 60's and was basically how to kiss your way right up to the top!  If only we would have known what we learned in this play then we wouldn't have needed to get our MBA's!!

  

Friday morning we woke up early and went to get more tickets for another show that night (Peter and the Star Catcher).  Then it was shopping day. We headed to Soho for some window shopping (I don't have that kind of money!) and then to Chinatown (I do have that kind of money!).  The weather was absolutely gorgeous....mid-60's with a small breeze. Once in Chinatown we were able to have a true Chinatown experience and were literally taken into a "special" hidden back room where we could buy knock-off purses (Prada, Gucci, etc).  They weren't kidding around and literally snuck us behind a secret door (hidden by merchandise) and rushed us into the room.  It was great.



After our shopping spree we headed up to check out this much talked about (by Chad) toasted marshmallow milkshake.  We also got one made with Nutella. They did NOT disappoint! Seriously tasted like a roasted marshmallow!  The food was so-so (as we had been told), but that shake was delicious!


We then went to see a play called "Peter and the Star Catcher."  It was about how Peter Pan became Peter Pan.  It was good, but I have to say that some of the jokes seemed to be more "theater-geek" geared and they went over my head.  People were seriously laughing for a long time and sometimes I just didn't get it. Overall I'd say it was okay, but it wasn't my favorite.  It was clean though which is always nice.


After the show we went to the Wonka store in Times Square where they sell every single Wonka toy/treat made. They had a lot of oversized candy and toys.  It was fun to walk around and see all the crazy candy!




Saturday we woke up and did a little shopping in Union Square.  This also involved getting another toasted marshmallow milkshake (to-go) and some delicious mac & cheese (another Chad recommendation).



Saturday was also our big show day.  After we had already bought our tickets to NYC we realized that they were doing a limited Broadway run (at the time) of Newsies.  I loved the movie as a kid and since it was Disney we knew it was safe and would just be fun. We literally bought the last tickets they had on the dates we were there and went to the Saturday matinee.  To say it was amazing doesn't do it justice!  The dancing was incredible. Many of the ensemble came from the show "So You Think You Can Dance" and it was flat out jaw-dropping what they can do with their bodies.  Also the guy who played Jack (Jeremy Jordan) was amazing, especially considering he was trying to live up to  Christian Bale as the original Jack.  I honestly am slightly obsessed with this show.  It was just amazing.

We had great seats (first row in the mezzanine) and the stage was 3 stories high.  They were literally a few feet from us sometimes dancing and singing their hearts out.  There is just something about men singing all together and acting like real manly men (not dainty men) that is wonderful.  I realize that in real life most of them are not as manly as I would hope, but I loved their characters.


After the play was over the actors actually came outside which I didn't know they did.  We also took this awesome picture. Seriously this was the 2nd try and I wasn't even trying to do my arms like the sign, but I did. I pretty much showed all the Newsies dancers how to jump so high :)



We then headed to Serendipity to eat. We had made a reservation online, but when we got there they claimed they didn't have us.  To make a long story short we showed them my call log from weeks ago when we called and then after refusing us and putting us in the stand-by line they magically found a table for us.  I like to think it is because while standing in line I gave them 1 star on Yelp, but I'm pretty sure Yelp doesn't work that fast :)  The food was honestly not good, we just went for the frozen hot chocolate and that was definitely worth it.  Delicious.



We then headed to our final show, Anything Goes.  It was a fun show, but after Newsies it felt like a little bit of a let-down. It was old-school Broadway and the dancing was good, but not even close to what we saw in Newsies. It was fun though.



Sunday we slept in a little bit & then headed up to Central Park.  It was a gorgeous day and so fun to watch all of the families out enjoying the gorgeous, not-humid weather.  On our way to the airport we grabbed a cookie from another recommended place and wow was it delicious.  It was about the size of 4 normal cookies, but it was hot and wonderful.  We then headed to the airport and went home.


No comments: